I'm Grateful for my Husband
September 11, 2007

When I step back and take a look at my life, I have so much to be grateful for. Today I'm feeling particularly grateful for my husband. Sure, we have our moments--empty threats, ultimatums, air born objects, the urge to clean moldy bathroom surfaces with one another's toothbrush and then actually following through with it--but really, doesn't every couple have their moments?

None of those feeling exist today. Nope, none. I have nothing but love and gratitude for my eternal companion.

What, you might wonder, has managed to induce these feeling of wedded bliss? It's actually quite simple.

Yesterday, Jared and I went to the YMCA to lift some weights. Before we got started with our highly impressive iron pumping routine, we decided to do a little warmup on the treadmill. For me, a warmup is five minutes of walking. For Jared, a warmup is anything that's twice as long and three times faster than what I'm doing.

I looked to my right and there was Jared, bounding along with the treadmill set to 10 miles per hour. That's six minute miles. I was kind of impressed. I've never even seen my husband chase after the ice cream truck so I really had no concept of his abilities.

I watched him for about ten seconds and noticed that he was working really hard to make his running look effortless. He looked over at me and gave me a quick little wave as if to say "oh my gosh, this is like, ridiculously easy." As he turned his head back toward to TV to catch Dr. Phil's next snippet of advice, Jared lost his footing.

And that's when my husband was catapulted off of the treadmill.

Everything about it was amazing--the sight of the flying man, the sound of the falling body, the awkward silence in a place that's usually buzzing with sound--even the background music fell quiet (ok, not really, but this is my story).

Jared jumped back on the treadmill and fast as he possibly could and stared at me with a set of wide, frightened eyes. The expression was remarkably similar to an orphaned kitten who just narrowly escaped being smooshed by a runaway dump truck.

I looked back at him, smiled a caring smile and mouthed the words, "OH MY GOSH. I'M SO INTO YOU! YOU ARE SO HOT."

And that is why I'm grateful for Jared.

23 comments:

Jess said...

Ah, your first paragraph really paints an accurate marital picture. Last night, my husband and I had a quibble b/c he wouldn't let me touch his butt. I literally went to bed pissed off b/c he wouldn't let me fondle his ass. But this morning? I totally forgot about the ass-argument and we were fine again and I had lost the urge to use his toothbrush as a toilet scrubber.

I do think I would have fallen off my own treadmill laughing at him if he did what yours did. Although, in all seriousness, a fellow colleague broke her foot b/c she fell off a treadmill last fall. She was out for 8 weeks!

Katy Shamitz said...

Work it, Jared.

Anonymous said...

Ohmigosh! Laughing so hard I'm crying! You really do paint a hilarious picture. What a priceless moment to store away in your memory forever. Poor Jared!

Unknown said...

LOL.... this is soooo something I would do. In fact, it is one of my worst fears in the gym and I take extra-super-dooper-care to not trip myself up. I trip on carpet, so extra care is needed.

Just saying hello!

Anonymous said...

Poor Guy...

[tiny giggle]

I'm certain there's a ring of hell where everyone must run on a treadmill.

Sarathy said...

followed a link from the favoriterun.com website and ended up here...

I should say reading ur blog was a lot of fun!! maybe I connected well being a graduate student myself struggling to graduate from school because of a thesis that doesn't go anywhere!!

I like you casual approach and ur perspective of things! keep writing!!

Cheers,
Vijay

Amy said...

Hi Vijay, Bonni and Mother Smuckers! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog!

Jess--ok, that's funny

Vijay--good luck on the thesis...this too shall pass :o)

Mindy said...

oh my gosh, your gratitude post is so much FUNNIER than mine :)

Angela Sumner said...

ROFL !!

poor Jared tho (lol lol) hope he didnt hurt too badly - and so glad you were there to witness the event and tell the tale lol

Sarah said...

I wish you had THAT on video. (Yeah, no sympathy for the show off here. I just wanna see the carnage!)

Marcy said...

Yeaaahhh where was the vid on that one? LMAO! You're such a sweet, sweet wife :P

Jes said...

Oh my god, I was just laughing so hard I was nearly crying!

Grandma said...

Jared...you need to make a statement on this one...

TheOneTrueSue said...

Tee hee... Being married is awesome.

Sarah said...

Why are moments like this so utterly delicious? I wish I could have seen it but thanks to you great description, it's almost as good as if I was there.

*krystyn* said...

This was absolutely hilarious...falling off the t-mill is a fear of mine - especially in a full gym!! OMG!!

Sharon (glitterangel) said...

That's so funny, I was laughing out loud at my desk like a nutter! Now everyone at my office thinks I'm a bit strange.

jahowie said...

LOL!!! I have a visual in my head right now, and I am sitting at my desk laughing. :-) I'm glad he's OK and that your hubby flying off of a treamill turns you on.

J~Mom said...

LOL!!!

Lori said...

And this is the reason I refuse to run on a treadmill. I have no doubt that it would be me lying there on the floor. But I have to say, I think your response was AWESOME!!!

Database Diva said...

Wow, when my husband did that I laughed so hard I almost went off, too. It was worth it.

Anonymous said...

I certainly would have laughted myself right off my own treadmill. Mr. Cool. Bwhaaaaaa. So glad you were there to experience it.

MissAllycat said...

Laughing. My. Ass. Off. That is too funny!! Thanks for sharing. :)