Turkey Trot Recap

November 30, 2009

Well guys, I'm proud to say that I stuck with my original plan and I ran the 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. It was a microscopic race with no mile markers, no clocks, no race numbers, no age groups, no real finish line to speak of, and no pressure for a woman who was six-and-a-half weeks post-partum. That would be me.

I went into the race with three different goal levels...

Level 1: Finish the 3.1 mile race without dropping any internal parts on the asphalt (uterus, bladder, etc).

Level 2: If all parts remained in tact, finish the race without walking.

Level 3: If I could do the course completely walk-free, finish the run in under 35 minutes.

I ran the race with my sister, who finished the Marine Corps Marathon in October. Mmm hmm, that's really fair, huh? Let me tell you, she was nothing but thrilled to have the chance to run with me, since she owed me a complete ass-whooping reminiscent to the one I dropped on her when her baby was four-months-old.

Fantastic.

I really knew I was in for it when she--the girl who flat out refuses to pay more than 14 cents for a jar of name brand pasta sauce--jumped at the chance to cover my entrance fee.

We lined up behind some schmuck wearing a turkey on his head, and when the race director said "go" (remember, this race was way low budget--no start guns), we went. I think the race went past some really nice houses, and some picturesque New England churches, and the open ocean, but I really can't recall. All I remember was looking down at my brand new shoes and thinking, "If I accidentally let loose and pee all over these, I swear I'll throw down a tantrum at the finish line."

I'm very happy to announce that my sister was beyond merciful to me during the race. Rather than slapping me into submission like she very well could have, she kept us at a relaxed but challenging pace--enough for me to think "Wow, this sucks," but not so fast that we couldn't chat the whole way.

When we got to the end of the course (honestly, there was no real finish chute to speak of, just a bunch of guys wearing tights, doing slightly offensive stretches), she looked at her watch and said, "Oh, you'll be happy...29:17!"

And I was. 29:17 is about 7 minutes slower than I usually clock for a 5K, but then again, I don't usually run 5Ks when I have a 9-pound newborn hanging out at home.

I know that my sister could have gone a mess of a lot faster. But me? Not so much. And for that, I'd like to give her the Sisterly Love Award. You might laugh, but that's no small deal, I've only ever bestowed that award upon one person in the entire universe.

So there. I did it, just like I said I would. And I'm happy to say that the entire experience was poop, pee, and tantrum free.

15 comments:

Miranda said...

Congratulations!! What an accomplishment. Good for you. Although a good story about you peeing in the bushes would have totally added to the story.

Cheryl said...

Yay, Amy!!! I am so impressed! My turkey trot consisted of waddling over to the sofa after stuffing myself with pie. You are awesome!

Mindy said...

Awesome job! That time is definitely not too shabby! I love your sister. :)

Marc and Megan said...

WOW, look at you! I'm amazed that you'd do a 5K so soon after having a baby... and even more amazed at your time!! Seriously, that is awesome!

funderson said...

NICE! I'm pokey so I'm impressed with your untrained time...You flippen' rocked it!

Kimi said...

Nice! I'd so have used the baby and the fear of internal organs becoming external to not race at all.

chattypatra said...

Once again, you prove your awesomeness. I'm glad your sister loves you and isn't mean. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

You are a running fool! Nice work. . . and nice sister, too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Amy! Great job. That was great of your sister, too.

And yeah...the fear of losing internal organs is definitely a factor for me sometimes.

Grandma said...

so I guess my concern about you leaving your girl parts on the road wasn't so far-fetched after all?!

Morgan Hagey said...

Way to go Amy! You'll be kicking butt running marathons before you know it. :)

paige said...

moremoremore...
ahhh, i wanna believe that i'll do this when my baby comes too... *so* encouraging...

JAMIE said...

Holy Crap, 29:17. That makes me feel like I should never bother running again. I run distance, and I'm slow as a turtle, but I do it, I should be proud, right?

29:17 is a number that I dream about for a 5k. My 5k is usually 40 minutes. Ugh.

Karen said...

Congratulations! My baby girl was born on Thanksgiving Day so I couldn't do a turkey trot.....of course, that was 28 years ago.

X-Country2 said...

Yay! Runner Amy IS BACK!!