Two
April 11, 2007

It's hard for me to swallow the fact that James is two today, but he most definitely is. Two years ago today my life took a fast turn toward motherhood, and I'm so very grateful that it did. James is quite simply a blessing and my own personification of joy. Never did I imagine that I could love so a person so much, and somehow he seems to love me equally in return. To love and to be loved, this is what my life is all about.

In his two year tenure, James has managed to teach me a multitude of unintentional and unconventional lessons. When I take the time to stop and think about the morals of these stories, I learn that I would be a much happier person if I lived like him. Here are a few that come to mind:

If someone is angry with you instead of fighting back, just give them some affection--they're probably having a tough day.

If you step in poop and it ends up all over your shoes, your pants, your hands and the slide, just wipe it up and keep on playing--a little bit of poop doesn't have to ruin a perfectly good day.

Read books, lots of books. And if you can, read books while you're snuggled up with the person you adore.

Sing songs when you feel happy, and sing songs to other people when they feel sad. Sing songs you know, or make up new ones. You don't have to have a great voice to sing a solo with confidence.

And finally, homework won't go away on its own, but the urge to dance in the kitchen will definitely pass. So just dance now and work later.

Thanks for the lessons, James. You are 35 pounds of pure wisdom. We're going to have fun today!

No comments: