Happy Thanksgiving!

November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving, troops. I'm quickly recovering from yesterday's illness (high temperature of 103--can you believe that?!), and I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to eat some Thanksgiving food by later this afternoon.

Thank goodness, because I really do love this holiday. In fact, it's my favorite. I enjoy Thanksgiving because it's not as commercialized the other major days--no bunnies, no presents, no bottle rockets. Thanksgiving focuses on the truly important things in life--like family, a parade featuring people dressed as cinnamon rolls, gratitude, food, and gratitude for food.

That's why every year on this special day, I start my morning prayer by saying something like:

Dear Lord, it's me Amy. Today I'm especially grateful for The Olive Garden, The Cracker Barrel, double Cool-Whip coupons, the Wendy's 99-cent Super Value Menu, Krispy Kreme donuts, The State Fair of Texas...and so on and so forth.

You see, on normal days, I'll only include two or three of my favorite eateries in my daily supplication.

I'm just so glad to be feeling better, because I really don't want to miss this meal--mostly because of my pure love of gravy. If it were socially acceptable, I would forgo the sparkling cider and drink a whole cup of gravy straight out of my Flintstones mug. Then, when dessert time rolled around, I would take the gravy boat--my favorite piece of china--and hug it tightly against my chest. Once I had shown they turkey juice some adequate lovin', I'd douse the daylights out of my pumpkin pie, and eat it all up without the help of a fork. Seriously folks, that thought alone leaves me drooling like a teething pit-bull puppy.

**Side Note: I totally don't care if you think I'm disgusting. I'm quite sure that I could find several unappetizing things that you dream about, too.**

Now, in the spirit of this most lovely holiday, I'd like to share a list of things that I am thankful for:

1. I am thankful that God decided to give my child a course & curly afro instead of limp, lifeless, silky hair.

2. I am thankful that I am no longer boofing through the night.

3. I am thankful for my Uncle Rich, who taught me that it is quite possible to fit eight different desserts onto one plate at the same time. (hint: the key is opting out of the sad little dessert plates, and reusing your full-sized dinner plate--friggin' brilliant!)

4. I am thankful for my 1989 Blazer because it's sleek, it's beautiful, and if the mood ever strikes me, I'm pretty sure that I could run over your car/RV/boat/house with very little effort.

5. I'm thankful to outweigh my husband.

6. I'm thankful that the Red Sox won the World Series. I'm thankful that the Yankees suck.

7. I'm thankful to live in a bright-yellow, stucco building that bears a striking resemblance to a Nike shoe box. I never thought that a girl like me would have this type of opportunity.

8. I'm thankful for windows and doors and they way they open and close. Seriously guys, have you ever stopped to think about that?

9. I'm thankful for deep-fried meats, cheeses, vegetables, and desserts.

10. And finally, I'm thankful for the cleaning lady who I plan to hire as soon as we have a half-decent income. Who ever you are...where ever you are...you are my heart song, and I love you already.

Happy eating everyone! What are you thankful for on this glorious, parade-filled day?

13 comments:

chattypatra said...

- I am grateful for pies, pies, and more pies!
- I am grateful for my television set, cable tv, and the handsome actors I can watch every week because of it.
- I am grateful that my father forced me to take a typing class back in high school. Thanks, Dad!
- I am grateful I can read & write.
- I am grateful that I am bilingual.
- I am grateful that my parents didn't ask me to shut up all those times growing up when I would burst into song and dance around the house.
- I am grateful I am no longer a slave. (I'm looking at you, DISD!)
- I am grateful that I have a computer with an ergonomic keyboard and a flat screen. Muah!
- I am grateful for good chocolate.
- I am grateful that the Lord healed my back after it broke many years ago and allowed me to walk again. Walking is good!
- I am grateful for Winter White Chocolate ice cream from Baskin' Robbins. (I miss you!)
- I am grateful for my most excellent, pretty, and talented friends, who make my life worth living.
- I am grateful for heating and air conditioning. Really.
- I am grateful for cold, clean water.

Finally, I am grateful that you read this whole thing. Ha!

Happy Thanksgiving, Amy! I hope you can eat tonight. Love you.

Anonymous said...

we love you and miss you today! Although Katy said it means more dessert for her! xo

Cheryl said...

-I am grateful for my family, especially my two daughters and their husbands. It was fun getting together with them today.
-I am grateful for the company of dogs. They are so funny and give us unconditional love. So far, all three of my "grandsons" are dogs!
-I am grateful for the swimming pool at the Y-- one of my favorite places to be.
-I am grateful for good health and being able to walk, run, swim, bike and be active even though I am an old fogie.
-I am grateful to live in a country where we can still worship God as we wish, have freedom, free speech and all that good stuff.
-I'm grateful for bloggers like Amy who make me laugh every day!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you I know someone who is completely in tune with you - we had to make lots of extra gravy today for my god daughter!! She dips everything in the gravey and took a tupperware bowl home full of gravy. She's a gravy freak!!

And regarding number 8 on your list: did you ever stop and think/wonder about the fact that you can be riding in a torrential rainstorm inside your car, the whole world is wet, and you're perfectly dry? Do you know what I mean? I think this is a wondrous thing!

I hope you got to enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner - it is the BEST holiday!

TheOneTrueSue said...

That gravy comment did, in fact, make me want to puke a little, but I'm sure you would not like to hear about my dear, dear love for mashed potatoes. Happy Thanksgiving Amy, may the gravy flow fast and furious.

Bahston Beans said...

Happy Thanksgiving Amy, Jared and James!

PS. I'm thankful that our potential cousin divorce never made it to the courts.

Lisa said...

I thankful that my mom makes extra food when I have to spend a holiday with my in-laws. That way I don't miss out on the good stuff!

J~Mom said...

I am thankful for blogs that make me laugh. :>)

Crabby McSlacker said...

So glad you're feeling better!

As I'm adding this comment on the day after Thanksgiving, I'm going back to my crabby old self. I refuse to feel thankful for another damn thing for at least 24 hours. All that gratitude was making me exhausted!

Ian said...

I'm thankful for your blog Amy. Happy thanksgiving.

Brooke said...

I am also thankful for your #6

Catherine M. said...

I am thankful that you and Jared are so amazing. Your generousness, goodness, funniness, funness, trueness, helpfulness, niceness, is cool.

Anonymous said...

Now that i've looked up "boofing" in the urban dictionary, i'm grateful for the time in my life that i didn't know what it was. Just kidding, but the UD does have a couple of meanings for it that you probably didn't intend.