Happy Thanksgiving, troops. I'm quickly recovering from yesterday's illness (high temperature of 103--can you believe that?!), and I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to eat some Thanksgiving food by later this afternoon.
Thank goodness, because I really do love this holiday. In fact, it's my favorite. I enjoy Thanksgiving because it's not as commercialized the other major days--no bunnies, no presents, no bottle rockets. Thanksgiving focuses on the truly important things in life--like family, a parade featuring people dressed as cinnamon rolls, gratitude, food, and gratitude for food.
That's why every year on this special day, I start my morning prayer by saying something like:
Dear Lord, it's me Amy. Today I'm especially grateful for The Olive Garden, The Cracker Barrel, double Cool-Whip coupons, the Wendy's 99-cent Super Value Menu, Krispy Kreme donuts, The State Fair of Texas...and so on and so forth.
You see, on normal days, I'll only include two or three of my favorite eateries in my daily supplication.
I'm just so glad to be feeling better, because I really don't want to miss this meal--mostly because of my pure love of gravy. If it were socially acceptable, I would forgo the sparkling cider and drink a whole cup of gravy straight out of my Flintstones mug. Then, when dessert time rolled around, I would take the gravy boat--my favorite piece of china--and hug it tightly against my chest. Once I had shown they turkey juice some adequate lovin', I'd douse the daylights out of my pumpkin pie, and eat it all up without the help of a fork. Seriously folks, that thought alone leaves me drooling like a teething pit-bull puppy.
**Side Note: I totally don't care if you think I'm disgusting. I'm quite sure that I could find several unappetizing things that you dream about, too.**
Now, in the spirit of this most lovely holiday, I'd like to share a list of things that I am thankful for:
1. I am thankful that God decided to give my child a course & curly afro instead of limp, lifeless, silky hair.
2. I am thankful that I am no longer boofing through the night.
3. I am thankful for my Uncle Rich, who taught me that it is quite possible to fit eight different desserts onto one plate at the same time. (hint: the key is opting out of the sad little dessert plates, and reusing your full-sized dinner plate--friggin' brilliant!)
4. I am thankful for my 1989 Blazer because it's sleek, it's beautiful, and if the mood ever strikes me, I'm pretty sure that I could run over your car/RV/boat/house with very little effort.
5. I'm thankful to outweigh my husband.
7. I'm thankful to live in a bright-yellow, stucco building that bears a striking resemblance to a Nike shoe box. I never thought that a girl like me would have this type of opportunity.
8. I'm thankful for windows and doors and they way they open and close. Seriously guys, have you ever stopped to think about that?
9. I'm thankful for deep-fried meats, cheeses, vegetables, and desserts.
10. And finally, I'm thankful for the cleaning lady who I plan to hire as soon as we have a half-decent income. Who ever you are...where ever you are...you are my heart song, and I love you already.
Happy eating everyone! What are you thankful for on this glorious, parade-filled day?