Fwee

April 16, 2008

We had a major milestone in our house last week--James turned three. It's hard to believe that it's been three years since I was sprawled on an operating table at Baylor Hospital while my surgeon worked to the tune of Sexual Healing, and my husband provided me with an overly detailed explanation of the inside of my uterus. For all of those inquiring minds out there, Jared says that the inside of my uterus is "totally red and really shiny!" I probably would have guessed that.

I can't believe it's been three years since I mustered up enough speech in my morphine-induced haze to tell every nurse, doctor, and orderly in the room that I was naming my baby Gerard after my French-Canadian father--after all, they had the very same hairline. Just as the nurse uncapped the Sharpie marker to scrawl the name "GERARD" across James's crib card, Jared announced that there would be no baby naming until all narcotics had cleared my system. And that my friends, is how we ended up with such a plain-jane name.

It's also hard to believe that I can no longer justify James's behavior in public by spouting my favorite phrase, "Sorry, he's two." Now I just say, "Sorry, that's the way he is." Call me crazy, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it.

And now, with no further delay, here are some pictures of the birthday extravaganza:






I found those watermelon candles in my mother's knick-knack drawer. Jared thought they were unacceptable, James thought they were amazing.









I don't know how well you can see it (hopefully not too well), but these gifts are wrapped using return address labels instead of tape. If you want to hang around at my co-worker's old PO box, zoom-in and Google map it.




And finally, here's my birthday boy, proudly displaying his Hostess cupcake. Is he my kid or what?!
We're supposed to have a legitimate party for James on Saturday, but Jared recently confessed that he "never really got around to mailing the invitations." That's funny, because I recently confessed that I "never really got around to packing his favorite fishing rod when we moved from Texas."
Anywho, if you live in Northern New England and feel like having a whale of a time, stop by our house this weekend--seriously. Trash day is on Saturday, so I'm going to try to convince the garbage collector to stick around for some cake, and hopefully our 89 year-old-neighbor to join in the festivities, too. I wonder if she likes a good old-fashined obstablce course. Now, if I could just get Sue to whip up one of her famous pinatas, Saturday's party would be complete.

21 comments:

Hilary said...

Aww happy bifday widdle won!

Jess said...

Happy b-day to James!

Patti said...

Happy birthday James! Maybe you could get a gig endorsing Hostess cupcakes...you are sooo cute their sales would surely skyrocket :)

Ian said...

Happy Birthday to James! We recently had a "no more diapers" party at our house, but I think Candis and I were more excited about it than the boys were.

VerWaynia said...

Yum - hostess cupcakes! I think that's a pretty solid birthday cake, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

January said...

Hi Amy, just wanted to pop by and say HI! Wow, I can believe James is 3! I can't believe our little men are getting so big! Sounds like you are doing great! We are moving this weekend! And you thought we would never go back....hee hee...

Brad and Rebecca said...

forgot the fishing pole....yep...that's the funniest line in here....oh yeah and the part about the obstacle course. that cracked me up!

J~Mom said...

Happy Birthday James! Sounds like my kind of party!

Bahston Beans said...

Happy bday James! I sent you an invisible card. It's magic!

Robin said...

Happy Birthday James!

Amy, I hate to tell you, but in my experience (mom of an almost 3 1/2 year old boy,) three is worse than two. And he is still in diapers.

Brianna said...

I think the candles are fantastic. I'd love to fill a cake with them for my next birthday . . . I'm afraid they might squash the cake, though. Happy Birthday, James!

Heidi said...

Nothing says Happy Birthday quite like a Hostess cupcake. I'm glad to see you've embraced that.

Sarah said...

That's quite the birthday bash! Congrats on being settled in! And the whole time I was at the IceShanty "banquet" I was TOTALLY thinking..."MAN! Amy would LOVE this!" Then when Jason got those trophy's it sealed the deal... I knew it was an event meant for you! And then it struck me that Jared actually is a member of IceShanty.com and you guys should totally come! I won't be there EVER AGAIN but you should totally go! :)

akshaye said...

Happy B'day to James! That was hilarious - at least James had a blast!

KeriAnn said...

Amy, thanks for the comment. Yes, I am your husband's cousin, and I think we are the rebellious non-mormon side of the Lawson clan! (GASP)! haha...Your son is adorable! Love the curls. and Your blog is a hoot. Glad you said hi. Tell Jarod his long lost cousin says hi.

Grandma said...

tell him the best way is to peel all the frosting off in one piece...fondant before it was trendy!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday, James!

Amy--I'm mourning the loss of the "she's 2" excuse too, especially as it pertains to her still being in diapers. Little stinker just hates that potty chair with a passion.

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday to James!

Mindy said...

My baby turned 7 on the 17th. I haven't even done hostess cakes yet... I'm hoping if I put it off long enough, he'll forget that he hasn't had a cake yet.

Jillybean said...

You CAN explain his behavior by saying "He's three" because anyone who has had children knows that age three is way more difficult than age two. (I'm sorry to break this to you, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared)
Our youngest will be turning 3 this week also. If it makes you feel any better, he has no interest in the potty either. He prefers to poop in his diaper, then request that it be changed.
None of my kids were trained before they were three.

TheOneTrueSue said...

I have been wallowing in self pity for the last week and I missed this post. Ack! Thanks for the link (cheered me right up ;>). Happy Birthday James!

Three is the most awesome age of all. At three they're charming and smart enough not to bump into stuff (mostly) and they still think you rock. After that - all downhill. Three is pretty much the pinnacle.