Family Relations

July 9, 2008

Last night I sat in the bathroom with my mother-in-law while James and his cousin played in the tub. All of the sudden, without a split-second of warning, James picked up a rubber fish and used it to shoot a fat stream of soapy water right into my mother-in-law's eye.

She squealed, she jumped, and she reacted to the situation with the typical drama-level of a Lawson female--high.

As soon as her face was dry and her eyes were desoaped, she turned to me and asked, in all seriousness, "Amy. Did you do that to me?"

I kind of snickered and replied, "Do you really think I would randomly spray soapy water into my mother-in-law's eye?"

She nodded and said, "Yes."

Well, it's good to know I'm well regarded around the Lawson house.
The next time a child farts at the Sunday dinner table, I'm planning to claim the gas as my own. The next time a grandchild stuffs their spinach under a chair pad, I'm going offer up a satisfied nod, point to my chest, and mouth the words: it was me. And the next time my mother-in-law discovers a crayon-drawn mural on her living room wall, I'm going to ask for permission to sign my work.

You know, just to maintain my reputation.
(I love you, Meredith!)

8 comments:

Brooke said...

That's awesome. Instead of claiming all the devious work of the little one's you could make things much more fun and actually do the deeds.

Jillybean said...

Hey, she DID put those Clorox wipes out for you to use.
Consider it payback ;0)

akshaye said...

Haha.. with the things that happen to you in her house she has enough reason to suspect revenge!

chattypatra said...

Fight! Fight! Fight! Get her, Amy. After all, she's tried to kill you before, hasn't she? See how James listens well to the 'adult' conversations around the house? You have an avenger! ;)

Ian said...

I like jkrunning's idea. Next time you spill something and don't feel like cleaning it up, just spread it around a little and then blame James.

Bahston Beans said...

Um, I can definitely see where she's coming from. You would absolutely do that do me!

Harshes said...

I'm cracking up. I could totally visualize that all happening (except your MIL doesn't really have a face b/c I don't know her). And I can totally see you pointing to yourself and saying "it was me". LOL Amy!

Grandma said...

sounds like Amy to me!