Sweet Potato Bread

December 11, 2008

A handful of people emailed me last night, asking for my recipe for sweet potato bread. Honestly, I'm a teeny bit reluctant to post it. First, because it tastes a little bit like arse--which isn't that big of deal, because seriously, even the nastiest arse becomes delectable if it's got some butter on top.

The second reason is the one that leaves me more concerned. This recipe you see, will completely change your view of me. Not only will I become more domestic in your eyes, but you'll also notice that there's more to me than M&Ms, bacon bits, and fingers coated in Cheetos dust. Things like whole wheat flour. And raw nuts.

Since I've gone this far, I may as well tell you everything...my primary care physician is a naturopath, I wear an apron when I cook, I sewed the apron myself, and all I want for Christmas is a high-end bread machine--and good heavens I want it SO BADLY!

Now that I've completely blown my cover, go make yourself a damn loaf of sweet potato bread:

(Or, on second thought, chew on a King Size Snickers bar. It's far less complicated.)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
4 cups of Dorito crumbs (kidding!)
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dates
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 tablespoons milk
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (boiled or baked--either way)

Mix wet. Mix dry. Mix together. Bake at 325 for one hour and 350 for an additional 15 minutes--or until it's cooked. Just do whatever it takes.

Please rest assured, I will always suck butt when it comes to doing the laundry. Always.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sounds yummy! Are you sure it tastes like arse? I'm a little afraid to try it.

Your secret domestic goddessness is safe with me. Hope you get that awesome bread machine for Christmas!

carla said...

hmmm.

we love arse up in herre.
I may have to give this a shot disclaimer or not it looks as though id love it.

Grandma said...

thanks Amy. I just put the Doritos in. Hey want my Onion Soup recipe? Read it off the Lipton box:) xo

Michelle Glauser said...

Wow, that is a hardcore recipe. I'm going to try to bake Stollen soon, which is preferably done three months before you're going to eat it, no joke, and totally labor-intensive. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mindy said...

I'm so sorry Amy... I wouldn't have asked if I had known that it would completely and utterly destroy my image of you. ;) Actually, you already destroyed that image when you made those owl treat bags. And you made an apron??? You really should join my community of domestic freaks... it's www.aprongirls.blogspot.com.

Holly said...

Everything is better slathered in butter. Every sentence is better if it includes the word "slather." Off I go to slather a King Size Snickers in butter.

b. said...

I was so hoping you'd post this!
Thank you!

Sincerely,
a blurker

amylouwhosews said...

you ARE hilarious! I wonder if someone will miss the just kidding part and actually add the 4 c. of crushed doritos.