Cashing in the Karma Points
September 16, 2007

What have I done to earn such a fabulous weekend? I have no idea, but karma was all too kind. If you're looking for a typical post--you know, from an overqualified babysitter with a sometimes humiliating gas problem--then click away and look elsewhere my friends, click away. I just had one of the best weekends ever.

Here's a little play by play. You know, just to make you jealous:

On Friday night my all time favorite band was in town--the Indigo Girls. I've loved the Indigo Girls for a million years and I've been lucky enough to see them live seven or eight times. Strangely enough, Friday's show was only three miles from my apartment and I didn't have tickets. I couldn't find anyone to go with me except my husband, and if we went on a date, we'd break our long and strong streak of marital unexcitement. We just couldn't stand to do such a thing.

The opening act went on at 8pm, and at 8:04 I turned to Jared and said, "It feels so wrong that the Indigo Girls are three miles away and I'm not there." He was like, "Just go!"

So I did. I changed my clothes, raced downtown, parked, and ran to the theater. I bolted up to the box office, panting my brains out and said, "It's just me, give me the best single ticket you've got." And get this, the ticket girl said, "I have one single ticket in the front row. It's right in the center." I gave her an assertive nod, and trying my hardest to act as though pee wasn't trickling down my leg, I casually replied, "That will do."

It was hands down, the best concert I've ever been to--for several reasons: first, the music was fantastic; second, I was front row center; and third, I got asked out not one, but FOUR times! Nooo, I didn't get asked out by the same unstable man over and over and over like I usually do, I got asked out by four separate women!

It's should come as no surprise that my self esteem is off the charts.

In case you're not familiar with the Indigo Girls, they're lesbians. So naturally, they draw a lot of fans from the gay community. I now know that if I were a lesbian, I'd probably end up dating a girl who wore a lot of cargo shorts, because every single babe who asked me out for a drink was sporting a pair. My gosh it was fantastic.

Unfortunately I had to turn them all down because I don't drink, and you know, I'm mostly straight. I say mostly, because if the opportunity ever presents itself, I'm completely prepared to pay upwards of one-hundred-and-fifty dollars to touch J-Lo's rear end. But really, who wouldn't?

After the show, I did have a bit of a run-in with a rather--mmmm, how do I put this lightly--ginormous girl who was quite seriously wearing an "I heart Mormon Girls" t-shirt. I was standing two inches away from her bicep and easily overheard her bragging that she could "spot a Mormon girl from a mile away" and the touting the fact that they found her impossibly hard to resist. I was thinking, "Might wanna get that radar tweaked, big honey! You haven't spotted me! And, um, I wouldn't get with you for all the elephants in the zoo."

In other, more boring news, I won the big girl's clydesdale division of a 15k (9.3 mile) race on Saturday. I finished in 1:14.30, a 7:59 minute mile pace. I have a new medal, so of course, I'm feeling very satisfied.

In other, more exciting news, I was linked by the fabulous Crabby McSlacker on her world famous Cranky Fitness blog. Thanks Crabby, my hits are up by like, a million!

And lastly, Jared scored a free x-ray machine worth, get this, twenty THOUSAND dollars! We had a fabulous, lazy Sunday including my grey sweatsuit-outfit and an injury-free trip to the park. And I'm having a full blown love affair with Oreo Cakesters.

See? I must have done something positively earth shattering, because Karma was totally in my court.

25 comments:

Mindy said...

Oreo CAKESTERS? Now you've got me drooling. Those are insanely good and bad for you at the same time! I loved reading about your great weekend! I love the Indigo Girls too! We sang "Closer to Fine" in a band I was in in college. How cool is that?

Brad and Rebecca said...

Dude how much were those tickets??? Last minute? Front row?? Center?? Last year I went to see Kenny Chesney ALL BY MYSELF because there was nobody to go with me and let me tell you, i had the time of my life! Good for you!

Jenniferlyn said...

Yeah for Karma!!!!!

It sounds like a great weekend.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Thank you so much for the shout out!

The Indigo Girls are indeed awesome. And I have to say I'm jealous--the fan base is pretty much my tribe, but I never, ever seem to get hit on.

And if you can run over nine miles at under 8 minutes a mile? I would NOT worry too much about any Mormon-crazed gals catching up to you. That's way fast! (I hadn't heard of the Mormon girl fetish thing and I have to say it's kind of amusing. But perhaps I wouldn't think so if I were (a) straight and (b) Mormon!)

Jess said...

You smoked that 15K! I never knew you were so fast! That is awesome, too bad you only gave us a quick recount of it -- of course, lesbians and rock concerts do kinda make for more interesting reading.

It does sound like a tubular weekend!

Michelle Glauser said...

How'd he get the x-ray machine? And have you had the mint Oreos dipped in chocolate? Mmmm.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap you are super fast.

I agree, a concert and being picked up by four women is much more interesting than running.

Lori said...

Woohoo! Sounds like an awesome weekend to me! What did you all have to do to get a free x-ray machine? It didn't have anything to do with the big chick that's into Mormon girls, did it?

Amy said...

The xray machine is coming from a chiropractor who's retiring in Maine. How generous is that? A couple other people wanted it, but it kept falling through, so it's ours! Jared's dad is picking it up this week :o)

Anonymous said...

So karma has made you a chick magnet...

Nice.

Brooke said...

Oreo cakesters are evil. I eat one and somehow the box just disappears after that. I don't know how. It's a miracle.

Amy said...

Are we living the same life or what? I went to an Indigo Girls concert by myself once by buying a ticket the day of--and it was fabulous! Unlike you, though, I didn't get hit on, but I did have a nice conversation with the blind lady next to me. And I once scored something worth 20 THOUSAND dollars--but it was a couch, not an X-ray machine. I didn't even know they made couches worth that much money until we got ours--I think we ended up paying $150 for it plus 2 chairs, but still!

So glad you had a good weekend. You deserve it.

jahowie said...

Wow!!! I thought that I had a great weekend, but this puts mine to shame. Hit on by not one, but four women, and winning your race!! Too cool!! BTW---J Lo does have a very touchable hiney, I think the going price would be a little higher than $150. ;-)

leslie said...

when i say "fabulous weekend" that usually means my picnic didn't get rained out. you go girl!

and 7:59 minute miles? from now on consider me an avid reader of your blog, as i will be scouring it for running tips. i am so glad we are becoming cyberfriends!

Anonymous said...

Is that your artwork? It is terrific. I may commission you to do a piece sometime.

Anonymous said...

I "heart" Indigo Girls! The first time I saw them I was way far on the lawn, the second time I saw them I was pretty close at the Fillmore in SF, but the third time I saw them (last February)I was SO CLOSE at this small place in Brighton. And that was so awesome! I was bouncing around like crazy and every time I looked at my husband, he just smiled and sang along too. Such a trooper!

Grandma said...

ok Crabby McSlacker-I just like your name...that is soooo good! and Amy...glad you had so much fun in 1 weekend! from the race to the xray machine to the concert! Being alone, you could have pretended you were their close friend in the front row...pointed to your watch saying..."when are we having dinner? I'm starving... how many more songs?",etc

RunToTheFinish said...

This was quite the weekend...can I ask what you'll be doing with the X-ray machine or is that a behind closed doors sort of thing, to get you beyond the "only child" question.

So glad, your blog was recommended by soo many lately, laughing is my favorite past time.

katieo said...

Seeing a shirt that says "I heart Mormon girls" at an Indigo Girls concert? HIL-arious! We are one hot bunch, that's for sure.

Sounds like a truly awesome weekend!

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome time! You are my new hero for sure!

Sounds like a great weekend! :)

Jessica DeLine said...

Never been to an Indigo Girls concert but one of these days. That "I Love Mormon Girls" shirt is hilarious!! How many gay mormon girls go to Indigo Girls concerts anyway???

Anonymous said...

4 gals?!

No matter what sexuality you are (I'm only into men myself), you're always flattered when asked out!

Sounds like a fabulous weekend!

KdoubleA said...

congrats on the 15k!

J-Money said...

I can't decide whether Oreo cakesters fell from the wings of angels or were crapped out by demons.

Nothing should taste that good. I justified eating some the other day after a 30K, but that justification didn't cover the second box. Or the third. Oh, who am I kidding? I could make an emergency blanket out of all the wrappers littering my kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 15k!