And the Mother of the Year Award goes to.....

September 19, 2008

...somebody else!!!!!

Pictured below is James's favorite mode of transportation--his wood-panelled cozy-coupe mini-van with the built in car phone. Sexy, no?

As you can see, if has its very own parking space in our two car garage. And in my mind, a vehicle as stealth as this one totally deserves that caliber of care and treatment.

Oh, who am I kidding? If I don't let the kid park his van in the garage he trows a rousing tantrum right between the snow blower and the lawnmower. I'd be pretty upset if James lost a finger in a moment of rage (or broke my yard equipment), so I'm like, "Fine. Park yer damn van in my spot. I'll be out here in the driveway scrubbing the bird poo off my windshield."
Last night the weatherman broke the unfortunate news that we'd have our first frost and should plan on scraping ice off our cars in the morning (also a good reminder to get the dog's coat out of storage and refill your Prozac prescription because, darn it, the winters up here are very freaking long).

Obviously I wanted my covered parking space back, so I did what any authoritative parent would do. I waited until James and Jared were fast asleep, tiptoed into the garage, moved Jared's car into the driveway and parked the sassy plastic van right in the middle of my husband's spot.

When I was pushing James's van across the garage, I noticed he had stocked a few toys inside of its pretend trunk. I was like, "Oh, how cute! What a boy! He packed his Lightening McQueen baseball glove (smile), a big ol' stick (gush), and...wait...hold on....an enormous pile of rusty screws and nails?!?!"

Holy bananas, folks. I think I'll go ahead and call CPS on myself. I'm sure a confession will move the process along.

20 comments:

Patty said...

you see, you're not supposed to actually take a picture... now CPS has physical evidence! although i do have to say that the picture is pretty damn funny.

Heather of the EO said...

um. There are no pictures to prove this, but I let my 3 year old play with nails right in front of me. So maybe you're still up for that award.
Hey! At least I'm watching him!

Ian said...

That's funny! Obviously he was worried about getting a flat tire and picked up the rusty nails as a preventative measure.

Cheryl said...

You crack me up. What a good mom, to wait until James is asleep before you move his little car. Same goes for the hubby. :-)

But, come on, what little boy isn't fascinated with rusty nails and screws? Normally you're supposed to discover them after they've gone through the wash cycle in his pockets.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Yeah, I had no idea we even had rusty screws in our house. But we do. More than one. I discovered this after digging the umpteenth one out of my 10-month-old's mouth. What is the weird screw-finding baby magic?

jadine said...

I don't think you have to report yourself to CPS until the rusty nails and screws are embedded somewhere. Funny picture :)

sarah said...

I miss you because I just really miss you. Now I understand the true motivation for you suddenly turning your thoughts back to Dallas. 1st frost mid-september?! I bet you are missing me. The big D don't seem half so bad right now.
Have fun on your girl date, I'm jealous.

carla said...

*looks around*

nope.

nary an award up in herre either.

by a longshot.

Miz.

Grandma said...

He's saving your car tires!!!

Cheree said...

Just read your latest post. I know you probably put "comments off" to avoid comments. But I just had to tell you that I (a complete stranger) am thinking about you and praying for you. I have no words - just love and prayer.

Elizabeth said...

I also am commenting here about the above post. I have read you for a little while and I just ache for you and your hubs now. I'm just so terribly sorry. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Andrea N said...

Oh Amy, I am so sorry. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Grandma said...

Amy- You, Jared, and James have your little angel watching over you. We are so sorry for all of you and we love you. Mom and Dad

MissAllycat said...

Amy, I am so sorry. Your family is in my prayers. :(

Harshes said...

Amy, we love you guys so much and are so sorry. I know that doesn't make anything better, but know that you are loved and all of your friends and family are praying for you.

Rebecca said...

I'm an avid follower (stalker?) of your blog. You don't know me, and other than your posts I don't know you. My heart is breaking for you and your family. I believe you will have the chance to raise your little boy. I'm sorry it won't be at this time. We will pray for your family.

Heather said...

I am so very sorry.

Megan and Sean said...

Were so sorry. Your in our prayer too.

Meghan said...

I'm so sorry, Amy... Steve and I are thinking about you and your family and hope that you can find some peace through this hard time. <3

angela michelle said...

I see you turned off comments on your most recent post, but I want to tell you anyway that I'm sorry. It's sad, sad. I'm sorry.