My Distaste for Drama...Friends, Family, Internet, or Otherwise

March 21, 2009

Disclaimer: I, Amy Lawson, take full and complete responsibility for the contents of this post. Any comments, questions, or concerns should be directly addressed to me, where I will reply, delete, or make fun of you at my own discretion.

Sometimes I kick myself for starting this blog--not because it's a lot of work, or any pressure whatsoever. Sometimes I kick myself for making my life so darn vulnerable to a complete group of faceless (and occasionally spineless) strangers.

But, rest assured, 99.9% of the time, I love this whole blogging thing. It's mind boggling how much support and inspiration I've gained from a complete group of faceless (and huge hearted) strangers. I have a lot of friends out there.

Just so you know, I write this blog for three reasons and three reasons only:

1) I love to write, it's my hobby. And if I do say so myself, it's one of my talents.

2) Making fun of myself--which is the theme of the vast majority of my posts--makes a sometimes challenging life a whole lot more palatable. For example, when I come home on a Monday thinking, "Wow, I might lose my job," I almost want to curl up and seep into the floor. But when I use my blog to translate that news into, "Actually, I think I'd love working at Rite Aid. Something about knowing who suffers with anal itching in my town would make me feel very powerful," I'm somehow able to go on with my day and not let the worst case scenario swallow me up. In other words, this blog helps me gain some measure of personal perspective.

3) Apparently, and not purposefully, this blog makes other people happy. Once or twice a week I get an email from a virtual stranger that says something like, "I print up my favorite posts and put them in my purse for when I have my chemo treatments. Then I give them to the nurses so they can give them to them to the other cancer patients." Or, "My mother is terminally ill, and your stories are one of the only thing that make me smile these days." Or, plain and simply, "You make me laugh." Well okay then, if my asinine tales of talking into a wallet can do that, then I will continue to make fun of myself until the day I die.

Recently I took part in an internet media project apart from this blog. Some of you might know about it, but for those of you who don't, it will remain unnamed. And recently, I got ripped up and down by a handful of people who "are disappointed by my judgement," and claim that "people like [me] are the problem with America today." And so on and so forth. There was too much tattling for a group of grown adults, and far too much drama for a group of people who have all, as far as I know, graduated from junior high.

Are my feelings hurt? No.

Do I feel bad about hurting feelings? Obviously, yes.

Am I embarrassed by all of the negative attention? Yes.

Am I annoyed by all of the useless hoopla? You have no idea.

The purpose of this post is twofold. First, I process things through writing--and I know darn well that I won't move on from this event until I've written it all the way through. And second, if you are the key player who inflated this event, I'll kindly invite you to kiss my rear. And yes, you can forward that line to anyone you'd like--because I've thought it through, and from the bottom of my heart, I mean it.

And most of all, most of all, I detest when little events are blown out of proportion--so obviously, this entire situation is not what I classify as fun.

So, with that said, I can safely assume that I'm fired.

Phew, now that's a relief.

You may commence the throwing of tomatoes in the comments section.

27 comments:

b. said...

COME ON!!!! PLEASE name it....!
I'm glad you blog.

Amy said...

Ha! I would, but it was taken down....so no point! But aren't you curious?

Grandma said...

Sounds like they are missing the "life" boat.

Ian said...

:)

b. said...

Curiouser than ever!

Michelle Glauser said...

Pretty sure you just wrote something that works perfectly with an essay I'm writing.

Sarah said...

I have NO idea what you're talking about....am dying to know....but either way it's safe to say that people that did this are STUPID and I invite them kiss your ASS also! And mine while they're at it! Keep doin' your thang! We love it and we love you!

Cheryl said...

I have no idea what this post is about either, but whoever thinks you are what is wrong with the world is just plain nuts! You are what is RIGHT with the world!!! And I totally get the part about needing to process things by writing about them. I'm not so good at blogging, but I write a mean journal.
Keep on keepin on, Amy! We love you!!!

gina said...

You are on my blog list. I get bored with the majority of my friend's blogs. (don't tell them)good grief, I get bored with mine. But when I see that you've updated your blog, I smile and get ready to laugh. Keep on being you...G

j said...

May I throw a rose instead?

I have no idea what the drama is about but I am totally into your blog. Keep it up - just as well as you have been - and it'll drive them freakin' nuts.

{{{HUGS}}} from a stranger (just to make you cringe a little cause that is how I roll).

:D

Christy said...

Haha. I already downloaded it before it was taken down. Score! And just to back you up, I thought it was hilarious, and you just being you. And I didn't think it was remotely offensive. People need some sarcasm in their life, you know?

But maybe that's just me.

tarable said...

I would like to throw an avocado - they are tasty. I love your blog & hope you keep it up. And that you don't lose your job. Maybe you should put up ads - you could totally make $30 a month. How much does that buy in Maine?

Unknown said...

As my husband and I walked out of "I love you man", I lamented my lack of kick ass friends. He said,"I know you are lonely, that's why you read those chick Mormon blogs". You are the kind of chick I girl crush on. Blog away. Tell the detractors to suck it(sucking denotes a harsh scolding don't you think? For when kiss it just doesn't suffice.

girlsmama said...

I love your blog. I love a mormon woman with spunk. Being one myself it helps me feel like I belong to group. :) I hope whoever it was enjoys their drab and dull life. Cause I'm sure it sucks compared to yours. Rock on Sister Amy.

Katy Shamitz said...

I don't even know what you're talking about. Dude, I'm out of the loop.

TC said...

Wow. I SO wish I had the FAINTEST idea of what you were talking about. Not because I want to be in on the drama and mudslinging (OK, I totally do), but because I want to be able to be jealous and secretly very impressed (or, more accurately, impressed and secretly very jealous) about people who get asked to write for other blogs/venues/what have yous.

(Yeah, I didn't think that would work. But I had to try.)

Lisa said...

Look! Not a tomatoe to be found. Obviously, the person/people involved have never read your blog or listened to you on the podcast. I am sure the only thing that set this person off was the truth.

Internet drama is just so... DRAMATIC. I think anonymity or at least a lack of face-to-face interaction leads to things escalating more than they would in real life.

Tanwon said...

I like your blog. So does my husband.

Chase's Moma said...

I LOVE your blog and your personality! Don't change a thing. I agree with a previous comment. You are what's RIGHT with the world! Joy

kristen said...

This is what I get for waiting to download...I missed it. I'm sure SOMEONE has a bootleg copy out there...

Regardless, your blog makes me laugh. A lot. Sorry you got involved in "scandal"

Erik said...

It was totally made out to be something it was not. I thought it was hilarious.

I do think you are a great writer and a super funny person, please don't ever stop!

E

V and Co. said...

hey so i love your blog cause you are one of the only blogs that i can write "etreem anal itching" on.

screw the haters...they're just jelous and probably really fat

Kiza said...

Honestly... your spunk is what I need. I stay at home with 3 kids and we talk about rainbows and sesame street. I need some clean adult humor. It gets me through the day!!

Lynda said...

I look forward to you blog like I look forward to Thursday night comedy night on TV. Your sarcasm is what gets me through the day. Keep it up!

chattypatra said...

Go ahead, Amy, throw yourself a kickin' hootenanny - you have your own mob. Awesome! Congratulations, you are being persecuted by small minded and intolerant fools who'd swear up and down that they are not. At least online they can't tar and feather you! :p

Anonymous said...

Very nice article thanks for the sharing...........

___________________
Smarry
The only Satellite Television Delivers the Best Value in Entertainment

LMW said...

All I know is that this blog has been making me laugh. Like someone said above, I love a Mormon woman with spunk!