Seeking One Over Enthusiastic Cheerleader Type

November 10, 2007

I don't know what my problem has been, but for that last couple of days I just can't seem to get out of my own way. I'm way tired, I'm totally cranky, and I'm less motivated than--I don't know--my high school aged brother-in-law? (I love you, Bryan)

Seriously guys, you could throw me into a pot of boiling hot clam chowder and I'd be too lazy to even think about finding my way out. I'd probably just reflect upon how much I love creamy soups, curse at the universe, and go down with the ship.

I think it's a combination of a cross country move, a raging case of PMS, and training for a marathon.

Marathon training. What a ridiculous, time consuming, energy zapping hobby. Seriously, who thought this shiz up?

Three months ago, my friend Sarah was like, "Let's spend three hours running every single Saturday for the whole season of Autumn! And then, when that's all over, we can run twenty-six miles to celebrate! And then we'll eat a piece of cheesecake that night!"

And I was like, "Wow! That's the coolest idea ever! I'm gonna get chocolate cheesecake!"

I don't know, looking back on it, we could have said something like, "Let's cut one of our toes off each week with a rusty old pocket knife! And then, when that's all over, we'll celebrate by cutting our midsections in half with a band-saw!" It would have been almost the same.

I'll tell ya what. I could have spent every single Saturday for the last three months driving my ass to the Cheesecake Factory and eating a whole plate-load of creamy frosted goodness. Those waitresses don't ask if you just ran 26 miles before they'll serve you a piece of cheesecake, they just want to know if you're paying with cash or credit.

A few weeks ago, I got a Runner's World magazine in the mail, and the headline article said something like LEARN TO LOVE EVERY RUN! And the sub-headline, or whatever in the hell it's called said TEN TIPS TO REGAIN YOUR PASSION FOR RUNNING.

Jared picked it up and was like, "What?! Seriously--they're trying to convince you to ENJOY your HOBBY?! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read! My fly fishing magazine never tries to talk me in to liking my selected form of recreation. BECAUSE IT'S FUN."

He's right. This is crazy. Running is dumb.

Now can someone go ahead and give me a little pep talk? I need some good-old-fashioned cheerleading today. But please, don't do your hair like Peggy Pom-Pom up there. She's totally creepy.

17 comments:

Katy Shamitz said...

no pep talk, but i can completely relate. i hate running too, and have SOOOOO enjoyed this whole pregnant-breastfeeding-pregnant again vacation from it. i don't miss it a bit. so then why am i getting excited at the thought of a 2009 marine corps marathon? because i'm insane. you are too. must be genetic.

chattypatra said...

A long time ago, I used to exercise four hours a day, six days a week (dance class). THEN I STOPPED.

Motivation enough for you, dear? I thought so. Have FUN; your knees will thank you later! :)

Amy said...

Katy--2009 Marine Corps Marathon?! Can I come, too?

Yes, we're nuts.

Berta--I love ya, and that's all there is to it.

Marc and Megan said...

I've done two marathons - the first one to see if I could do it, the second one was for fun. Then I stopped. Why? Because you're right... it isn't fun. It's WORK! BUT, it's so satisfying at the END that it makes you insane trying to get there.

I think you've actually managed to give me the bug again... I need to find another marathon to do. Now, tell me how that happened? How did you do that?!

Ian said...

Come on Amy, keep your chin up! You can do it! Ahhh who am I kidding running sucks. You're right.

It's like an addiction that I can't quit.

RunnerGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RunnerGirl said...

You're right, the running itself isn't fun. But how about the feeling right after you finish a really tough run? Or when you cross the marathon finish line, and you feel like you can accomplish anything? That feeling rocks! Just think about that during all those miserable, long runs on Saturdays. It will still suck,but at least you'll have something to look forward to!

Lisa said...

I've never been able to get into running. I do pretty good for the first 3 days, then I get a cold and stop. Maybe I'm allergic to running.
You should keep going because I can't!

Anonymous said...

I am going to do a different kinda' cheer - Grab a beer, a cookie, a good movie and rest. Next week is a new week but right now - that funk is your body telling you to hang out for a while. It will be back to the same ole you in a few days.

jed-laura said...

Running is fun.... as long as you do it in small ammounts. 3-5 miles will suffice, and you don't have to feel like you've cut off your toes in order to do that.

I admire anyone who has the guts to get over the physical pain of running and keep trying in order to run a marathon... once. Then why they would do it again after they'd already done it to prove they could... this is past me.

I'm training for a half marathon in the spring to prove to myself that I can, to get a little more in shape, and because I enjoy running. That being said, if I start to feel like I've put myself through extreme physical torture to do so, I may have to postpone my goal until a later spring, like say spring of 2009.

-Jed

J~Mom said...

You have got to focus on the shiny trophies girl!

TheOneTrueSue said...

Running sucks. But so does being fat. (Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here.)

Mindy said...

We're working on a move too...not as far as yours, but still 400 miles away... and I'm having a really hard time getting my running motivation going. If you figure it out, let me know. :)

Jess said...

Training for a marathon truly is time consuming and exhausting. But after you finish, it's usually well worth the training (unless you were me in Chicago 5 weeks ago). However, there are many shorter distances to train for that can also be rewarding, and thus less exhausting and draining. Maybe after the marathon you're training for, you could aim for a half?

P.O.M. said...

Remember the Willy Wonka movie? The first one, not the creepy Johnny Depp version, but the old cool version?

Well, there's a really annoying song that Charlie's mom sings to him to cheer him up:

Cheer Up Charlie
Give me a smile,
What happened to the smile I used to know
Don't you know your grin has always been my sunshine;
Let that sunshine show...

Cheesey!! Isn't it?
Yeah, marathon training really sucks.

Cheryl said...

Hey Amy, I just watched a great DVD this week about the Badwater race. http://www.badwater.com/ It's something like 135 miles, through the desert in 100 degree heat, up and down a couple of mountains. They showed gross stuff like peoples' feet getting so blistered and beat up that their toenails fall off, people being sick by the side of the road, getting confused and passing out. Many racers claim they will NEVER do it again, and then they are back the next year to do it all over again! Sounds like fun, huh? Yeah, I think marathoners are like that, too. Hang in there. You'll be glad you did!

Michelle Glauser said...

I love the band-saw metaphor. I think the reason people run is because it's convenient. You don't have to find a bunch of people to go play basketball or soccer or something fun. You still get sore and the feeling that you accomplished something. What a poor substitute. Naja (oh well).